Table of Contents
What means pinkwashing?
Pinkwashing is a portmanteau word which combines “pink” and “whitewashing”. The term is most often used to describe various forms of cause marketing. Pinkwashing (LGBT), the promotion of the gay-friendliness of a corporate or political entity in an attempt to downplay or soften aspects of it considered negative.
What is an example of pinkwashing?
Perhaps the most noted example of pinkwashing is Israel’s public relations campaign to promote itself as the “gay mecca” of the Middle East. This campaign emerged in direct response to “bad press” it received for human rights violations, particularly following global media coverage of the Sabra and Shatila Massacre.
How do you stop pinkwashing?
An important way to avoid pinkwashing or being accused of pinkwashing is to be honest about where the money is going….2. Be Transparent About Your Fundraising
- Donation caps.
- Sales being separate from donations.
- Incredibly low donation promises.
- Extra steps consumers need to take to contribute to a donation.
How do you stop Rainbow washing?
How to Avoid “Rainbow-Washing” during Pride Month
- Do Your Research. The landscape of the LGBTQIA+ community is vast and complex.
- Include LGBTQIA+ Folks in the Conversation.
- Amplify LGBTQIA+ Voices.
- Donate to LGBTQIA+ Causes.
- Post More Than a Rainbow Flag.
- Make it a Year-Round Commitment.
What’s the meaning of rainbow flag?
The rainbow flag is a symbol of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) and queer pride and LGBT social movements. Also known as the gay pride flag or LGBT pride flag, the colors reflect the diversity of the LGBT community and the “spectrum” of human sexuality and gender.
How can you avoid rainbow washing in your pride marketing efforts?
How to Avoid the “Rainbow Washing” Trap and Support the LGBTQ+ Community
- RAINBOWS IN JUNE.
- BE AN OUTSTANDING LGBTQ+ EMPLOYER.
- SCRUTINIZE YOUR RAINBOW WASHING PAST (and present)
- ANY FINANCIAL SUPPORT IS BETTER THAN NONE.
- LIFT UP OTHERS.
- BE AN ALLY – EVERY DAY.
Which country has a rainbow flag?
This rainbow flag was introduced to Peru in 1973 by Raúl Montesinos Espejo, in recognition of the 25th anniversary of his Tawantinsuyo Radio station. As the flag’s popularity grew, Cusco mayor Gilberto Muñiz Caparó declared it an official emblem in 1978.
How do you explain pride month to a child?
How to Talk about LGBTQ Pride Month with Your Child
- Talk about universal values and your family’s values.
- Keep it simple. Try to be relaxed and comfortable.
- Have an ongoing conversation about diversity, difference, and discrimination rather than one “big talk”.
- Kids love the colors of the flag.